Modify or update your ESTA form

If you are traveling for less than 90 days for tourism or business, an ESTA is required to travel to the United States if you are a national of a Visa Waiver Program country. This authorization is obtained after filling in various information in an online form. Sometimes you have to modify the content you have entered, either because you have noticed an error or because an element is no longer up to date. Find out how to make this change in two ways below.

Modification before sending

Do you notice an error in the summary of your official ESTA application before proceeding to the online payment stage? Don’t worry, nothing is saved yet, just correct the item in question by going back to the previous page or by simply modifying the field during the verification step.

Modification after sending

Once the questionnaire has been filled out and sent in, modifications are more complicated, costly most of the time and only possible on certain fields.

You have been granted an ESTA:

If you change your passport number, name, gender, nationality or if your passport expires in less than 2 years, you cannot update it: you must go back to the “new application” box. Also, if your health or criminal history is different than when you submitted your initial application, fill out a new form.

There are a few cases where you do not need to send a new form: changing the address where you are staying in the United States and changing your email address. Only the modification of these two addresses is free of charge. For the rest, you have to pay the processing fee again. The only interest of the update is to keep the information always valid.

You have been denied an ESTA USA:

If your first application was unsuccessful due to an error, you must wait 10 days before you can change your answers and resubmit the form. You will have to pay again. The procedure for a new application is the same: go to the site and fill out the form again. The processing time for the ESTA application is also the same.

If no errors were made, you may not meet an eligibility requirement. In these cases, you will need to apply for a tourist visa for the United States instead. you will need to follow the online procedure and then contact your U.S. embassy for a visa interview.